Monday 4 February 2013

New Things



So as I might have mentioned, I've been working out a way of doing things that suits me and I enjoy. This is some new work I have produced that maybe has refined my 'illustrative style' a bit.

It is coloured digitally, however I can't really beat my traditional drawing skills, so the line work is all based off of pencil drawings with some ink washes. I've also done some inky backgrounds and added textures. In a way I think it more closely resembles printmaking than any previous work I have made, and I guess that is something I was aiming to achieve. I hope I can refine and develop this style throughout the semester as I continue working. At the moment I'm working on some travel posters which will probably have a similar sort of effect when they are finished.

Here are my illustrations for the Folio Society Competition, where the book to illustrate was Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I'm assuming they have chosen the winners by now so here is my entry. The book was challenging to read (some complex themes) and even more challenging to illustrate. 

"The bulging flanks of row on receding row and tier above tier of bottles glinted with innumerable rubies, and among the rubies moved the dim red spectres of men and women with purple eyes and all the symptoms of lupus."

"...inevitably he found himself thinking of the embraces in  Three Weeks in a Helicopter . 'Ooh! ooh! the stereoscopic blonde and ahh! the more than real blackamoor. Horror, horror, horror... he tried to disengage himself but Lenina tightened her embrace."

"Uphill and down, across the deserts of salt or sand, through forests, into the violet depth of canyons , over crag and peak and table topped mesa, the fence marched on and on, irresistibly the straight line, the geometrical symbol of trumphant human purpose."

Proposed Binding Design




No comments:

Post a Comment