Thursday 24 January 2013

Death and the Maiden



I promised I would put some new work up soon. So here is a poster I made for an exhibition at the filmhouse, in connection to a retrospective on Roman Polanski.

The film I got was Death and the Maiden which is based on a play by Ariel Dorfman. I happened to read it in school which was useful as I had already analysed some of the themes and symbolism.

It was difficult to come up with an idea that would make a good image because the majority of the story takes place in just one room, and the importance of the film/play is all in the dialogue (not very much actually happens). I considered doing a text only image, hand lettering a quote, but in the end decided on this. The title of the play that the film is based off of is of a musical piece by Schubert called 'Death and the Maiden', so I attempted to incorporate the fact that it is a piece title this into the design.





No comments:

Post a Comment